May Bioblitz @ Timberlake Field Station

****Event canceled. I hope to reschedule as time and situations permit.****


Good news! Tarleton has approved the May Bioblitz at Timberlake Field Station (TWO nights, May 14 - 16). Attendees may begin arriving noon Friday and we'll depart Sunday afternoon. The bunkhouse will be available, but restricted to one person sleeping per room. There are five rooms, so the first five folks that request a room in the bunkhouse can be accommodated. Due to uncertainties regarding COVID (new variants, localized increases in cases, etc), I prefer that attendees be vaccinated so our gathering doesn't contribute to these uncertainties. Regardless, we've got almost 800 acres to engage in some really enjoyable social distancing! Our previous two bioblitzs only scratched the surface of biodiversity at Timberlake, so I'm excited to continue our inventory of biodiversity.

Tarleton State University’s Timberlake Biological Field Station is an educational and research facility located on the Colorado River in the heart of Texas--midway between Austin and Abilene. The 790 acre property has approximately 3 miles of Colorado river frontage.

Here's the link to detailed info about Timberlake: https://docs.google.com/document/d/19D_D0b94QvtB72GR8e5cSH8XHXFSe9DS69zffjRrbtw/edit?usp=sharing

Since the event is being limited to 25 attendees (5 in the bunkhouse), I'll maintain a list here:
Spot reserved:

  1. annikaml
  2. tadamcochran (bunkhouse)
  3. mikef451
  4. connlindajo (bunkhouse)
  5. gcwarbler
  6. bacchusrock (bunkhouse)
  7. gwaithir
  8. briangooding (bunkhouse)
  9. jwn
  10. Max S. (bunkhouse)
  11. k_mccormack
  12. molly_burke
  13. benjamindurrington
  14. austinrkelly
  15. clairesorenson
  16. nanofishology

Tentative:
rymcdaniel
k8thegr8
cmeckerman
pynklynx
lovebirder

I'm tagging some folks that I seem to recall having expressed an interest last time we met, along with some other active observers. Don't be offended if you're not tagged here--I'm severely scatterbrained and loose track easily! Feel free to tag anyone else that you know might be interested. @mikef451, @sambiology, @centratex, @wildcarrot, @catenatus, @brentano, @gcwarbler, @annikaml, @oddfitz, @tadamcochran, @rymcdaniel, @nanofishology, @connlindajo, @k8thegr8, @ecarpe, @galactic_bug_man, @dan_johnson, @tdavenport, @kimberlietx, @anewman, @jeffmci9, @eric_keith, @wild-about-texas, @alflinn329, @tweedledee, @bosqueaaron

Posted on Απρίλιος 07, 2021 1222 ΠΜ by pfau_tarleton pfau_tarleton

Σχόλια

I have a big exam the week after (May 21), but maybe!

Αναρτήθηκε από nanofishology πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Bummer! I've already got an event that I'm helping out with that weekend at LLELA... The following weekend I'm planning a little DFW bioblitz up here. Shucks! I want to get back down there to Timberlake!!!

Αναρτήθηκε από sambiology πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

I will definitely keep this on my calendar. I look forward to hearing about more updates.

Αναρτήθηκε από cmeckerman πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Yes! I'm so ready to head out there, and I'm fully vaccinated. I'm planning to camp.

Αναρτήθηκε από annikaml πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

I'm all in.

Αναρτήθηκε από gcwarbler πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Really dying to visit there again at some point. But afraid I won't meet your criteria listed below. Maybe someday.

Αναρτήθηκε από brentano πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

I should be able to make it! I'm all vaxxed up. I'll camp if the bunkhouse isn't available.

Αναρτήθηκε από tadamcochran πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Can't wait to get back here! Camping

Αναρτήθηκε από mikef451 πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Interested! I'll check my calendar, May is a travel-heavy month. I'll be trying out my new camping gig this weekend!

Αναρτήθηκε από k8thegr8 πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Absolutely interested but on waiting list for vaccine. We will see...

Αναρτήθηκε από connlindajo πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Hooray! Got the call this morning. First shot tomorrow! Event is on my calender.

Αναρτήθηκε από connlindajo πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

The Timberlake Bioblitz has been approved. Please see edits that I made to the original post above. Up to 25 attendees will be allowed, so feel free to tag folks that you'd like to invite.

Αναρτήθηκε από pfau_tarleton πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

@pfau_tarleton I would like to reseve "my suite"in the bunkhouse if possible. Thanks!

Αναρτήθηκε από connlindajo πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Russell, please confirm the actual dates. Are we arriving on Friday, May 14, and going through Sunday the 16th or ???

Αναρτήθηκε από gcwarbler πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Thanks @gcwarbler, I updated the post to include the dates. It's one night (arrive Saturday as early as you please and depart Sunday late afternoon).

Αναρτήθηκε από pfau_tarleton πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

@pfau_tarleton I'd like a bunkhouse room too if possible. Thanks!

Αναρτήθηκε από tadamcochran πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Interested, but not sure if I'll have the vax by then.

Αναρτήθηκε από rymcdaniel πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Tentatively a yes, but will be leaving late Saturday night. I'm fully vaccinated :D

Αναρτήθηκε από nanofishology πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

@pfau_tarleton I would be interested in joining. Are suites still available in the bunkhouse? If so, I'd like to reserve one.

Αναρτήθηκε από bacchusrock πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν
Αναρτήθηκε από pfau_tarleton πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

I'd like to come! I will have had my second vaccination shot by then. I do not need a bunkhouse room.

Αναρτήθηκε από austinrkelly πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Would you allow a small travel trailer, 17 ft Casita? Or possible rv parks nearby? I didn't see anything listed in Goldwaithe. I am fully vaccinated.

Αναρτήθηκε από clairesorenson πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Also, for anyone that wants a quick/simple way to add it to their calendar: May Bioblitz @ Timberlake Field Station Google Calendar Event

Αναρτήθηκε από austinrkelly πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

@haleydaniels @gwaithir @devinpedraza @savannahbug sharing this event with you! This area down by Tarleton is amazing!

Not sure if I'll be able to make it yet, thank you for the invite (keep inviting me, please!!!)

Αναρτήθηκε από baxter-slye πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Alas, I won't be able to make it. If you're in the DFW area and want to moth at LLELA, we'll be doing that on the 15th. So, we can compare moths and nocturnal bugs at Timberlake and at LLELA! :)

So many competing things in spring -- crazy! Wonderful, but still, crazy. :)

Αναρτήθηκε από sambiology πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

I was just telling @sbot about Timberlake the other day. Id like to stay in the bunkhouse if there’s still room.

Αναρτήθηκε από briangooding πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

@sambiology I was about to ask where is my invitation to the mothing at LLELA and then I realized that's the weekend I am driving to Illinois with my daughter; she's doing a summer internship there. So no iNatting for me that weekend.

Αναρτήθηκε από jblinde πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

Count me in! Thanks Russ!

Αναρτήθηκε από jwn πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

a tentative yes for me

Αναρτήθηκε από pynklynx πάνω από 3 χρόνια πριν

@baxter-slye darn I will most likely be in Austin visiting Family during this time.

Αναρτήθηκε από savannahbug περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν
Αναρτήθηκε από mikef451 περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Dr. Pfau, I would like to participate in the May 15 -16, 2021 Bioblitz @ Timberlake Field Station and tent camp. I will be fully vaccinated by then.

Αναρτήθηκε από k_mccormack περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

If you're planning on attending, make sure I added you to the attendees list (and whether you've reserved a room in the bunkhouse)...I don't want to overlook anyone.

@clairesorenson, yes, you can bring your travel trailer--plenty of room!

Αναρτήθηκε από pfau_tarleton περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

My wife Mary Kay may be joining us. She'll be tent camping.

Αναρτήθηκε από gcwarbler περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Thanks, I will attend with my travel trailer if you haven't gone over the 25 attendees yet. This will be my first iNat gathering. I hope I get to meet you all. If not, I will try for another.

Αναρτήθηκε από clairesorenson περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Things are looking good for me to be able to attend. Very excited to see everyone again!

Αναρτήθηκε από nanofishology περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

I just found out about this, but I may try to come out. What time on the 15th can we enter the property?

Αναρτήθηκε από lovebirder περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

@lovebirder, I should be there by 10 am...hope you can make it out!

Αναρτήθηκε από pfau_tarleton περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Thanks!

Αναρτήθηκε από lovebirder περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

I won't be able to make it this weekend, but please keep me in mind for any future ones! To those going, enjoy and find lots of spiders! :)

Αναρτήθηκε από wildcarrot περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Sorry to say I have to withdraw my participation. I just received a last minute notice of our annual neighborhood cleanup and I feel I should stay home to help out. We live just outside Austin City limits and don't get much help removing trash from the roadside. Please keep me on your list for future events.

Αναρτήθηκε από clairesorenson περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Looking at the forecast there's a chance of storms Sunday, so I'm extending the bioblitz to include Friday in case folks want to leave earlier on Sunday--and because I'd like more time to spend with friends both old and new. Sooooo, I'll arrive by noon Friday and will stay through Sunday afternoon. Despite the rains, most of the property is pretty rocky/sandy so I don't think it will be too much of a mudfest.

Αναρτήθηκε από pfau_tarleton περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Alas, I am required up in DFW. I will be at the next one!

Αναρτήθηκε από k8thegr8 περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

For those attending, please let me know your estimated time/date of arrival. If too few people plan on coming Friday, I may withdraw my Friday extension.

Be aware that I'm dealing with some health issues in the family (not COVID!) and may have to cancel the event unexpectedly. So be sure to check this post before you head out because I'll announce any change in plans here.

Friday is predicted to be partly sunny and 80 degrees. Saturday, partly sunny and 75 degrees. 30% chance of showers Sunday.

Αναρτήθηκε από pfau_tarleton περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

I'm planning on arriving between 10am-noon Saturday.

Αναρτήθηκε από annikaml περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Russell, I am trying to get out of my pre-existing Friday commitment so I can come up early. I should say Kathy is looking for my replacement on that event. She and I are working toward coming Friday. I will update you later today.
Thanks

Αναρτήθηκε από mikef451 περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

I'm not going to be able to make it to stay in that sweet bunkhouse after all but I hope you all have fun and see some cool stuff. Hope to make it out on this property again soon.

Αναρτήθηκε από briangooding περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Hi Russell. I'm sorry to hear of your family health issues and hope things improve. I'm afraid I only have until 6 this evening to cancel hotel and pet boarding reservations without significant penalty so I can't wait to see if the event is still on. I really like that property as well as the iNat crowd and ask to be included next time.

Αναρτήθηκε από jwn περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

If anyone sees the isopods:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/25542906
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/25506092
catch me a few would you? I'm not convinced of this ID and would like to send some to an expert. Live preferred :)

Αναρτήθηκε από bosqueaaron περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

I plan to arrive Saturday around 10 am.

Αναρτήθηκε από bacchusrock περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Saturday, 10-12 depending on stops

Αναρτήθηκε από connlindajo περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Mary Kay and I plan to arrive at midday or early afternoon Friday.

Αναρτήθηκε από gcwarbler περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Definitely Friday between Noon and 1pm for me now.

Αναρτήθηκε από mikef451 περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Hey Russell. Thanks for the update. I won't be able to make Friday and I'm going to cancel for Saturday. So, another bunkhouse room is open if someone decides they don't want to camp.

Please tag me in future bioblitzes! Thank you for the opportunity to attend this one.

Αναρτήθηκε από tadamcochran περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Can't make it, please keep me in mind next time. Happy hunting everyone.

Αναρτήθηκε από pynklynx περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

If the Friday extension is still open and my suite in the bunkhouse available Friday night, I would like to arrive Friday afternoon. That would certainly made for a more leisurely drive for me.

Αναρτήθηκε από connlindajo περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Folks, I'm super bummed about this as I've been wanting to host this event for almost two years now...but I think it's best that I go ahead and cancel. I need to stay close to home this weekend. I'll be looking at the calendar for open weekends later this spring or summer.

Αναρτήθηκε από pfau_tarleton περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

OK. Will be thinking about you and your family. I also believe with all the cancellations that it will be more fun to plan for a later day. Hope every thing goes well.

Αναρτήθηκε από connlindajo περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Hope to see everyone soon. Take care, Russell! Thanks for putting this together. I look forward to attending later.

Αναρτήθηκε από lovebirder περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Well wishes to you and your family, Russell.

Αναρτήθηκε από tadamcochran περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Well wishes to you, Russell. And we look forward to getting out to Timberlake in the future. Healing thoughts to you and your family.

Αναρτήθηκε από gcwarbler περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Sorry to hear that you have health issues in the family, sending my best well wishes. Timberlake will wait for us later this year. Take care for now!

Αναρτήθηκε από annikaml περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Hope everything turns out allright and we'll catch you at the next one.

Αναρτήθηκε από rymcdaniel περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Sorry to hear that Russell, sending your family my thoughts. I'm looking forward to seeing everybody again soon!

Αναρτήθηκε από nanofishology περίπου 3 χρόνια πριν

Προσθήκη σχόλιου

Συνδεθείτε ή Εγγραφή για να προσθέσετε σχόλια